The local community has worked hard to restore the island’s beauty and charm, and it’s inspiring to see how Siargao has bounced back after Typhoon Odette.
Are you planning a trip to Siargao Island this 2023? This small island paradise in the Philippines has become a popular destination for surfers, beach lovers, and adventure seekers worldwide. To help you plan your perfect Siargao Island vacation, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide with everything you need to know before you go.
The easiest way to get to Siargao Island is to fly to Sayak Airport, located in the Del Carmen municipality. Airlines such as Cebu Pacific, Philippine Airlines, and Sunlight Air operate daily flights to Siargao Island.
When to Go
Siargao Island is fun all year-round, but the best time to go is between March and October. This is when the weather is dry, and the waves are perfect for surfing. If you’re not into surfing, you can still visit during the off-season (November to February) when the island is less crowded, and the prices are lower.
Where to Stay
Siargao Island offers a range of accommodations to suit every budget and preference, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly hostels. If you want to experience the local culture and lifestyle, we recommend staying in a homestay. These accommodations are often run by residents who can give you insider tips and recommendations on what to do and see on the island! If this is your vibe, learn more about our eco-house.
What to Do
Siargao Island is famous for its surf breaks, but there’s more to do than just surfing. Here are some of the top things to do and see in Siargao.
- Surfing: Siargao Island is known for its world-class surf breaks, including Cloud 9, considered one of the best surf breaks in the world.
- Island Hopping: Explore the nearby islands and discover hidden lagoons, pristine beaches, and crystal-clear waters.
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving: Siargao Island is home to a diverse marine life, making it a great place to go snorkeling or scuba diving.
- Visit Magpupungko Rock Pools: These natural pools are created by the tide and are a great place to relax and take a dip.
- Explore the Local Markets: Immerse yourself in the local culture and try some of the delicious Filipino dishes at the local markets.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to make the most of your Siargao Island vacation:
- Bring enough cash: Many places on the island don’t accept credit cards, so it’s best to bring enough cash.
- Respect the local culture: Siargao Island has a vibrant culture, and it’s essential to respect the local customs and traditions.
- Protect the environment: Siargao Island is home to a delicate ecosystem, so it’s essential to be mindful of your environmental impact. Avoid using single-use plastics and take your trash with you.
- Be prepared for the weather: Siargao Island can get hot and humid, so pack lightweight and breathable clothing.
Rebuilding Efforts After Typhoon Odette
In December 2021, Siargao Island was hit by Typhoon Odette, one of the strongest typhoons to hit the Philippines in recent years. The island’s infrastructure, including its homes, businesses, and tourism industry, was severely damaged.
Despite the devastation, the local community has shown resilience and determination in rebuilding Siargao Island. With the help of government agencies, non-governmental organizations, Siargao business owners, and volunteers worldwide, the island has made significant progress in its recovery efforts.
Many of the island’s businesses, restaurants, and accommodations have reopened, and the island is welcoming visitors again. The local community has worked hard to restore the island’s beauty and charm, and it’s inspiring to see how the island has bounced back.
Siargao Island is a true paradise! Whether you’re a surfer, a beach lover, or an adventure seeker, there’s something for everyone on this beautiful island. We hope this guide has helped you plan your perfect Siargao Island vacation, and we can’t wait to see you on the island!